- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- cold water (icy cold)
- 2 apples (pink lady recommended, cored and sliced)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 60 g butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cream (pouring)
- Fritters – pour oil into a medium saucepan until one-third full.
- Heat over medium high heat until hot.
- Combine the flours and sugar with enough ice cold water to make a mixture the consistency of thickened (doubled) cream.
- Coat the sliced apples in the mixture and deep fry in batches for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown, remove to a wire rack to drain.
- Cinnamon Sugar – combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Caramel Sauce – combine the butter and sugar in a small saucepan, place over medium heat and cook 3 – 4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, stir in the cream and simmer for 2 – 3 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Place the fitters on serving plates, sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar, pour over caramel sauce and enjoy.